Siberian Huskies are one of the most striking breeds out there, and most people think of them as white, black, or gray. So when a RED Husky comes along they stand out even more! But are they rare? This article has everything you want to know about Red Huskies…
Red Huskies are not rare and are actually quite common. Although white, black, and gray are the traditional colors, red huskies still account for a high proportion of the overall Siberian Husky breed population.
How Common Are Red Huskies? Rare Or Just Eye-Catching…
Yep, as the introduction stated, red Siberian huskies are not that rare, and in fact, are even quite common!
The Siberian Husky has many recognized colors, and although some may be seen less frequently, none of them would be considered rare.
It’s also important to mention that the red husky is not a separate breed, their difference in color is simply a coat variation.
The AKC currently recognizes the following colors:
- Agouti & White
- Black & White
- Black Tan & White
- Brown & White
- Gray & White
- Red & White
- Sable & White
Red huskies are so visually striking that it gives the impression that they are rare. And rightfully so, red huskies are a real head turner and deserve every bit of attention they get!
The shades of red can vary, all the way from light amber to different shades of copper.
How Much Are Red Huskies? Are They More Expensive?
If you’re looking to buy a red husky puppy, expect to pay at least $600, all the way up to $2500. The price depends on the puppy’s blood lineage (purebred/show dog) and even the state/country in which you are purchasing in.
● Appearance: Let’s not forget that many people worldwide are under the impression that red huskies are “rare”. Although we’ve established now that they are not, this has still lead to an increased price for red husky puppies over black, white, gray-colored husky puppies.
● Blood Lineage: The blood lineage always plays an important role in husky puppy price. Purebreds are nearly always more expensive, and the price keeps going up if the parents were of show-dog quality.
● Location: The price of red husky puppies will also change depending on the state or country you are buying them in, and their relative popularity as a breed in that area.
There can be hundreds of dollars of difference, just depending on where you buy your puppy from.
Are Red Huskies Good Dogs? Temperament Differences
Red huskies will bring just as much flair and excitement to any household, as a black, white, or gray husky would.
● You can expect the same level of backchat, stubbornness, and their overall needs will be the same.
● Red huskies are naturally kind, loving, and will welcome strangers with open arms. Despite looking like a wolf, they’re big softies at heart.
● Training will be a challenge and it’s widely accepted that Siberian Huskies (whichever color they are) are not ideal for first-time dog owners. They require consistent training, a vigorous exercise routine, and do not do well when left alone.
● Red huskies will require many hours of attention out of your day and are not a breed for the “casual” dog owner.
● Despite being challenging to own, huskies make wonderful family dogs that have a lot of love and affection to give, even if you have babies or children, this breed is still a top pick.
Do Red Huskies Shed As Much?
Red huskies will certainly shed!
Shedding will typically happen at a low-medium level consistently throughout the year, with two BIGGER “blowouts” just before major seasonal changes.
But it must be said that shedding does depend on the climate where you live. If you live in a cold climate shedding will nearly always be less than if you live in a warmer climate.
Red Huskies Will Require a Brushing Routine
As with all huskies, you will need to look after their beautiful coat by regularly brushing them, 2-3 times per week.
Managing their coat is a huge topic, but the best advice is always the simplest…
Brush their coat 2-3 times per week, for 20 minutes each time. Use an undercoat rake for the first 10-15 minutes to remove the dead undercoat hair followed by a slicker brush for the last 5 or 10 minutes to clean out and finish the topcoat.
If you require a more in-depth article about husky shedding. << This article is for you <<
Red Huskies Can Be Show Dogs Too
When it comes to dog shows and meeting certain standards, there are many rules. And honestly, it’s not my area of expertise. But I do know one thing…
There are a few people who are under the impression that red huskies are not breed-standard and therefore cannot enter into dog shows.
This isn’t true, and in fact, there are many red huskies entering in official dog shows all the time.
So if you have plans to enter your husky into a dog show but aren’t sure about coat-color requirements, you don’t need to worry. Red huskies are “accepted”.
This is original content produced and published by My Happy Husky | www.myhappyhusky.com | If this content appears on any other website or platform then it is not the original and action will be taken.
Photos Of Red Huskies
Eye Colors Of Red Huskies
If huskies were not already enough to look at, their eyes colors make them stand out even more.
Siberian huskies as an entire breed often have a condition called Heterochromia. Heterochromia happens as a result of a gene mutation, often called the Merle gene.
The color of the iris depends on the presence of melanin. The gene mutation I just mentioned affects the strength and distribution of melanin. Ultimately when there is a lack of melanin the result is blue eyes.
Due to variance in melanin sometimes both eyes may be blue, one eye is blue and one is brown, and the rarest being parti-colored where two colors are blended in a single eye.
Red huskies are not any more prone to having blue, amber, green, or parti-colored eyes because of their coat color.
About 4 in 10 huskies have blue eyes, about 4 in 10 huskies have brown eyes. Parti-colored eyes make up only about 5% of the breed population.
How Different Are Red Huskies, Really?
All in all, red huskies are not that much different from white, black, or gray huskies.
I’m personally a sucker for red and white huskies and it’s my favorite coat color that a husky can have.
Red huskies are just as common, but many people agree they are more visually striking, thus it’s widely thought that they are rarer.
Apart from sometimes being more expensive, red huskies are the same size, same personality, and are ultimately the same dog!
Most Recommended For Huskies 🐶
Best Brushes For Husky Shedding ⭐
Best Online Training Program For Huskies⭐
Brain Training For Dogs has become increasingly popular with Siberian Huskies in the last few years. It’s now recognized as perhaps the best way to train a husky in the most stress-free, positive way.
Best Husky Puppy Book ⭐
If you would like to support My Happy Husky directly and have an easy to read and entertaining guide for training your husky puppy, check out my book The Husky Puppy Handbook on Amazon. All purchases are greatly appreciated.