Training your husky puppy to walk comfortably while on the leash doesn’t have to be a difficult process. In this article, I will cover a simple training method that will show you how to leash train your husky puppy.
Leash training should be at the top of your list and will help drastically with future training. Being able to put on a harness and leash without any fuss will allow you to progress fast with almost all of the other types of training!
How to Leash Train a Husky Puppy
Leash training needs to be broken down into very small steps for your husky to feel at ease during his first experience of wearing a harness and being attached to the leash.
The best way to start is by sitting on the floor with your pup and have the harness and leash at the ready. You will need some treats to use as part of the reward step.
1. Place the harness on the floor ⭐
● Keep making a fuss of your puppy.
● Divert his attention.
● The goal of this is very simple, to introduce the harness without him getting spooked. Let him sniff around but keep on with the treats to break his attention from the harness in a positive way.
2. Make contact with the harness ⭐
● Let your puppy see you touch it.
● Touch your puppy’s back with the harness and put it back down.
● The goal of this is to get your puppy comfortable making physical contact with the harness
3. Put the harness on your puppy ⭐
● After your puppy is used to it touching his body. Put it on properly.
● Keep using treats to divert his attention if he shows some panic.
● Once it’s on he may start to try and bite or chew it. This is okay, just calmly divert his attention before it becomes excessive.
4. Now place the leash on the floor ⭐
● You are adding a new item for him to get familiar with.
● Essentially you need to repeat the simple steps above, carefully letting him sniff around and make contact.
● Keep diverting his attention with some treats if he becomes too fixated or anxious.
5. Make contact with the leash ⭐
● This is the same as step 2
● Tap the leash to the harness’s hook to make a clipping sound. Allow your puppy to become familiar with the leash
● Once again this is getting your puppy comfortable with the contact.
6. Attach the leash to the harness and drop it on the floor ⭐
● Once attached. place it on the floor and your puppy will instantly know something has changed.
● Let him figure out that the lead is attached to him. When he moves, the leash moves!
● Give him some time and be ready with treats if he starts to freak out.
7. Pick up the leash ⭐
● Let your puppy know and see that you can hold this weird mystical thing that is attached to him.
● Walk back from your puppy and let him walk to you.
● Divert his attention with treats and your voice.
8. Repeat this process on different occasions ⭐
Essentially you need to take every action very slowly. Break everything down for your puppy in order for him to become comfortable with the harness and leash.
When a new item like a harness or leash is introduced to his space, he needs time to figure out what it is and most importantly become comfortable with it.
Eventually, the harness and leash will be “controlling” him. So he needs to feel comfortable with it first.
You may want to check out these two articles after this one:
Choosing the best harness for your husky
Choosing the best leash for your husky
This is original content produced and published by My Happy Husky | www.myhappyhusky.com | If this content appears on any other website or platform then it is not the original and action will be taken.
Extra Tips For Better Training
When you reach the stage of having your husky puppy attached to the leash you may want to remember these important things
● Make sure you are using a comfortable harness or collar
● Make sure he is comfortable on the leash inside your house, before going outside
● Refrain from yanking or pulling your puppy as this will create a negative association with the leash
● Give your puppy praise and reward him when he’s comfortable coming to you while on the leash
● If your puppy is the one trying to pull you. Stand still and do not move. Let him get bored and reward him when he stops the pulling
Why This Method Works So Well
The reason this method works so well is that you’re breaking down the steps and introducing the harness and lead slowly.
Introducing them slowly, one at a time means you aren’t overwhelming your puppy or making him too excited.
Allowing him time to accept the presence of this new item and feel comfortable with it, is essential for good behavior once he’s attached leash.
It’s a good idea to spend a few minutes on each step, just to give him time to feel comfortable, before moving on.
By diverting his attention away from the harness and leash as you introduce it, it won’t frighten him and he’ll be a lot more accepting of it.
A big mistake to make when leash training a new puppy is to be fast and forceful. Remember, your puppy needs time to figure out what’s happening and feel comfortable.
When To Start Leash Training Your Husky Puppy
When you want to try this out, make sure you do it at a good time of the day. By this I mean make sure your husky is not currently in need of something else, you want his full attention.
Don’t try this training method when your puppy:
● Is hungry, or hasn’t eaten in a long time
● Your puppy needs the toilet
● Your puppy has just woken up from sleep or a nap
● You have a lot of people or guests around him
● You have other toys and distractions in the area
This is a fairly simple training method and should work wonders for you. Remember always be patient with your husky puppy. Some puppies react differently to training, some will learn quick and some will learn slow.
Most Recommended For Huskies 🐶
Best Brushes For Husky Shedding ⭐
Best Online Training Program For Huskies⭐
Brain Training For Dogs has become very popular with Siberian Huskies in the last few years. Owners that have tried it say amazing things about the incredible results and how easily implemented the training is.
Best Husky Puppy Book ⭐
If you would like to support My Happy Husky directly and have an easy to read and entertaining guide for training your husky puppy, check out my book The Husky Puppy Handbook on Amazon. All purchases are greatly appreciated.